Sunday 22 April 2018

Meet Hoopla Teacher Katy Schutte.



Katy's favourite improv quote: 
"If we treat each other as if we are geniuses, poets, and artists, we have a better chance of becoming that on-stage." - Del Close 


What got you into improv in the first place? 

I didn't realise till years later that I'd done loads of improv at school in my drama class. I imagine it was that. That certainly made me choose Drama as my degree later on. I also found a drop-in class in Brighton years ago that was likely the catalyst to get me doing it all the time. Training at Second City Chicago and watching shows at IO made me get into longform and Baby Wants Candy were my favourites from the first time I saw them in 1999!

What makes a good improviser? 

Someone that is prepared to listen and support other people on stage to make collaborative art. Someone that is happy to put the truth out there and commit to an idea no matter how good or bad their inner critic tells them it is.

What’s your favourite exercise and why?

I still love Mind Meld it's a lovely intellectual way of getting to know how other performers are thinking and arriving at a shared vision.

•Who are your favourite improv acts? 

TJ and Dave, Dasariski and the first generation of Baby Wants Candy!

What does improv training help you with in the real world? 

Being okay with failing in order to get to a better creative and communicative level with other people.

What advice would you give to people wanting to get into improv?

Try it, it's not as scary as you imagine and you will make a lot of new, lovely friends.

-------

Katy regularly teaches at Hoopla courses include; Beginners, Performers, Long Form and The Improvisers Way. www.hooplaimpro.com

If you would like to see her perform she is part of improv troupe Project2 and The Maydays

And she has also written an improv book called 'The Improvisers Way' which is available to buy from https://www.nickhernbooks.co.uk/the-improvisers-way




No comments:

Post a Comment